Here I go. The reason why I went to the moon for my birthday page one.
- This is supposed to be a scan, but I don’t yet know how to use the fancy dancy A3 network printer/scanner that I have access to, so it’s a photo of the page this week.
- I was going to do the book in pencil. Now I’m doing it in ink, and I already like it about 10 times more.
- In addition to cleaning up and colouring, a lot of the text spacing needs to be adjusted.
- The prettied up version of this book will be available to buy in print and on iPad in 2015.
- Please feel free to share your thoughts. Your feedback will make this book better.
Thanks for taking the time to look and read.
Last summer I wrote a children’s book. Then I didn’t illustrate it because I needed to finish my degree. Then— I dunno. I completed the degree in May. Since then I’ve illustrated 1.667 of 32 pages. I’m good at starting things, but not so great at finishing (e.g. Cooking tips). Two notable exceptions are said degree (BA Culinary Arts, first class honours) and a weird little bird book I made a few years ago. I want this children’s book to join the notable exceptions. And so…
Every Monday starting 21 July I will be posting a page of the book in the Secret Comics Club section of jqgill.com and here and probably on Flickr. The page will just be the raw scan, pre-photoshopping and colouring, but it will give people a chance to enjoy the story and maybe become interested in buying the actual book when it is finished sometime in 2015. It will also give people the opportunity to give feedback. I haven’t got an editor or publisher, but there are a bunch of you, and you are clever and have thoughts, and you might like to share those thoughts with me.
I’m trying to take my own advice.
‘All This and Heaven Too’ by Florence + The Machine
This song should be sappy and saccharin and horrible. Instead, it’s perfect.